|Do you enjoy rural living, wild places, family farms, challenging politics, and big conservation opportunities? Do you have leadership abilities, experience with rural land protection, and fundraising expertise? Do you care deeply for the land and communities of north-central Washington? Okanogan Land Trust is inviting applications for the position of Executive Director.
Established initially as an all-volunteer organization in 2002, OLT currently holds 27 conservation easements on more than 9,200 acres (with an additional 3,100 in process), and serves eastern Okanogan County and western Ferry County in north-central Washington.
|Full Job Description
The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for carrying forward the vision of the Okanogan Land Trust (OLT), including fundraising, community involvement, private land protection projects, land stewardship and ongoing organizational integrity. The ED serves as the public point person for the organization and represents the values and mission of the organization at all times. The ED reports to the OLT Board of Directors, and works alongside and supervises all OLT staff. The ED is responsible for the following specific duties:
- Work with the Board of Directors to facilitate the development and ongoing review and revision of organizational plans and performance measures;
- Develop an annual budget that reflects organizational plans;
- Provide sound financial management and reporting;
- Lead ongoing identification and recruitment of additional Board members and volunteers;
- Supervise OLT staff and build program capacity.
- Develop and execute an effective fundraising strategy to secure funding for OLT’s operations and conservation work;
- Build a growing, enthusiastic circle of individual supporters by fostering strong, trusting personal relationships throughout the community;
- Solicit and expand foundation, public agency, and business support;
- Work with the Board and staff, planning and leading all OLT external fundraising communication and activities.
- Provide oversight for OLT land protection programs including conservation easements, land acquisitions, and stewardship;
- Maintain and strengthen partnerships with landowners, other non-profits and agencies to increase land and resource protection within the OLT work area.
- Provide oversight for outreach and education programs and projects advancing the OLT mission.
- Strong fundraising skills:
We seek a trustworthy, friendly, charismatic leader who likes people and understands the critical importance of continually building honest, trusting relationships with potential investors in our mission. The ideal candidate will have proven experience obtaining significant funding from donors, foundations, sponsors, and a variety of grant making organizations.
- Outstanding writing and communication skills:
We seek a clear, concise, persuasive private and public speaker.
- Mastery of technological skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Quick Books, Website development and maintenance, Facebook, Twitter and other social media, and other programs as appropriate for small business management and development;
- Familiarity with, and skill and enthusiasm for all the administrative elbow grease and hard work necessary to run a small organization and build it into a larger one;
- Highly self-motivated and able to work with limited supervision in non-traditional and unstructured environments;
- Demonstrable passion for the OLT mission and vision;
- Residency in the OLT service area after hire;
- A college degree.
- Prior experience leading a successful fundraising effort in a rural area;
- Prior experience as a manager or leader in land conservation work;
- Land trust experience;
- Experience with GIS mapping, GPS navigation and digital imagery technology;
- A sense of humor;
- An advanced degree.
- $50-60K depending on experience;
- Health insurance allowance;
- Simple IRA with a 3% match;
- Flexible leave policy.
- Please send a cover letter, resume, references and writing sample to Okanogan Land Trust, P.O. Box 325, Okanogan, Washington 98840; email submissions welcome at email@example.com;
- No phone calls, please;
- OLT hopes to fill the position as soon as possible. However, applications will be received until the position is successfully filled.